Every May, we have a tradition at OVC Ball to provide the first, and ridiculously early, previews for the upcoming basketball season…that’s still six months out. We launched this in 2011, making this our fourth year. And we’ve had…mixed success.
- Best Prediction: Tennessee State would jump from 5th to 2nd in the league. (They did just that)
- Second Best Prediction: Austin Peay wouldn’t contend for the conference title. (Coaches and SID’s picked them to win OVC. They finished seventh.)
- Worst Prediction: Tennessee Tech would win the OVC. (They finished fourth)
- Best Prediction: Belmont, not Murray, coming off 31-2, would win the OVC. (They did)
- Worst Prediction: SIUE was on the rise, and would finish in the top four. (They finished 11th)
- Best Prediction: Southeast Missouri wouldn’t compete for a title. (They barely made the OVC tournament)
- Worst Prediction: Morehead State missing the OVC Tournament. (They finished 4th)
To be entirely honest, last season’s predictions were my worst yet. I had Eastern Illinois second in the west, SIUE as the worst team in the league, EKU winning the conference outright (at least everyone got that wrong) and Tennessee State making the OVC Tournament.
This year, it’s time for redemption.
My six-months out Power Rankings for 2014-15.