- Jacksonville State RB Miles Jones has been limited in early practice after pulling a hamstring last week. (Source: video above)
- Murray State head coach Chris Hatcher wasn’t fully pleased with his team’s effort in Monday’s early practice. The Racers are in shells today, before holding their first scrimmage Wednesday morning. No two-a-days for the Racers this year, but they’ll practice six days a week. According to the Murray Ledger and Times, Running backs Marcus Holliday and Pokey Harris are the top two on the depth chart at running back.
- Tennessee State’s practices are now underway, and they’ve got plenty of choices at running back. Five, to be exact, all recruited to the FBS.
- No update from Austin Peay, because their practices don’t kick off until today. They could use a football field, though.
- Things are quiet out of Eastern Illinois as well, where two former FBS quarterbacks will battle it out for the top spot.
- In yesterday’s Daily 3, it was pointed out in the comments I may have actually missed a quarterback battle at Eastern Kentucky. The Richmond Register talked to former Cincinnati quarterback transfer Bennie Coney, who think he can push Jared McClain out of the starting spot. He’ll almost certainly play for the Colonels at some point — he’s got three years of eligibility remaining. The big question is whether it will be this year.
- SEMO’s gave us everything we could want to know about their offensive line, which allowed the fewest sacks in the OVC last year. Sophomore Jake McCandless is projected to start at center, moving from right tackle. Traven Mable will return to his spot at right guard, and Garret Baker should be back at left guard after a broken leg in 2013. The tackles will look different: Corey Porter will shift from center to left tackle. Kyle Finney moves to right tackle from left guard. The line is led by first-year offensive line coach Jon Wiemers.
- Practice has been underway since Saturday in Martin. They’ve got a QB battle of their own, although they’ve really had a year or so to sort it out, and still haven’t.
- No news out of Tennessee Tech, although we did get their new season ticket promo Monday:
FEATUREDCompiling all OVC non-conference games