Much like football this year, the OVC let the media have their own preseason poll, and the results were…
Well, they were quite predictable, if I’m being honest.
The media panel picked the Murray State to win the conference, picking up 16 of 22 first place votes. The other six went to defending regular-season champion Belmont, who were picked to win the East division.
Defending Ohio Valley Conference champions Eastern Kentucky were picked second in the East.
Media also picked a preseason player of the year, which went to Murray State sophomore Cameron Payne.
The fill media list is below, and I’ve made comments about where my ballot differed. (Spoiler: it didn’t much in the East. The West on the other hand..oooh boy.)
2014-15 Media OVC Preseason Men’s Predicted Order of Finish
Overall Champion: Murray State (16 first-place votes)
1. Belmont (19 first-place votes) – 127 points
2. Eastern Kentucky (1) – 104 (I flipped EKU and Morehead here)
3. Morehead State (2) – 97
4. Tennessee Tech – 62
5. Jacksonville State – 41
6. Tennessee State – 31
1. Murray State (22 first-place votes) – 132 points
2. Southeast Missouri – 109
3. Eastern Illinois – 68 (5th on my ballot)
4. Austin Peay – 60 (6th on my ballot)
5. SIUE – 57 (3rd on my ballot)
6. UT Martin – 36 (4th on my ballot)
Preseason Player of the Year: Cameron Payne, Murray State