GAME OF THE WEEKEND: Murray State 81, Evansville 79
I called it on Friday. Jonathan Fairell hits the game winner with :01.1 remaining, as Murray State picked up a huge win on the road against Evansville. Cameron Payne scored a career-high 32 points in the win, edging out D.J. Balentine‘s 31 for the game-high. The Racers were hot from three-point range for the second straight game, hitting 11-19 from behind the arc.
- EKU 73, IUPUI 64: EKU shoots 55% from the floor, but struggled to pull away thanks in part to 21 turnovers, and poor (11-18, 61%) free-throw shooting. Corey Walden scores a game-high 20 points, but Eric Stutz goes 7-8 from the field in his return to the lineup from injury
- NIU 55, EIU 59: The Panthers have won four straight against the Huskies, and have another solid night offensively, hitting 46% from the field, and 9-23 (31%) from three-point range. EIU struggled somewhat on the boards, allowing 16 offensive rebounds, but held NIU to 30% shooting. If it weren’t for free-throws, this game wouldn’t have even been close.
- TTU 53, Alabama 65: The Golden Eagles were tied with Alabama at 43 with 13:50 left, before the Crimson Tide shut down TTU’s offense the rest of the way. Dwan Caldwell and Charles Jackson both have impressive games against the larger Tide, but the team couldn’t keep Rodney Cooper off the free-throw line in the loss.
- Morehead State 71, Ohio State 87: Eagles shoot an impressive 55%, but get outrebounded 30-19 in the loss.
- Lipscomb 68, Austin Peay 59: Ed Dyson scores 21, but the rest of the offense dreadful in loss at home. (33% FG%)
- Missouri State 73, SEMO 61: Bears use 11-3 run to start the second half to take over the contest.
- SIUE 61, St. Louis 67: Woe is the Cougars defense. SLU hits 55% in the win.
- Dartmouth 67. JSU 69: JSU takes 41 free-throws, gets big night from Jeremy Watson (19 points) and Darion Rackley (22) in win.
NOTES FROM THE WEEKEND
- Darion Rackley scored his 1,000th career point in Jacksonville State’s win over Dartmouth. He’s the 23rd member of JSU’s 1,000 point club.
- Kris Davis scored 18 points in SIUE’s loss to St. Louis, moving him into 13th place on SIUE’s all-time scoring list. (1,022 points)
- Missouri State’s Marcus Marshall didn’t miss a shot or a free-throw in the second half, leading the Bears to a win over SEMO. Marshall was just 1-6 in the first half.
- Eric Stutz pulled down his 500th rebound over the weekend, becoming the 27th member of EKU’s 500 rebound-club.
- EIU now has two wins over the MAC this year. (Ball State, Northern Illinois) Belmont is the only other OVC team with one. (Ohio)
- Murray State has won four-straight since falling to 2-4 in Nashville.
- The OVC is 34-59 (36.6%) in non-conference games against Division I opponents.
- In the latest NCAA RPI, Murray State has jumped ahead of the league with their win at Evansville, ranking 72nd. Belmont is second at 113th. EKU third at 135th. UT Martin still in the top-200, at 165th.